Why a blog?

Somewhere to jot down all things I am passionate about.
My little space to rant, rave and ramble on about this and that.
Most of all, just to share my thoughts with the world!

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Aromatherapy Associates


Hi again beauties! :-h  This next post features a couple of hair care products that were sent to me by Tammerly, who is the talented author of Spoilt.  She asked me to test drive a shampoo and conditioner from a company I’d never heard of before, so I could then review them for her blog.  I’m always happy to try out new hair care brands, especially when they’re a little bit different than the norm, but of course, who wouldn’t hehe   ;))  Anyway, here’s what I though: 



Aromatherapy Associates Balance Shampoo

( $28.80 per 300ml –  I received the 40ml Travel Size )

Aromatherapy Associates is a UK brand focused on delivering effective and luxurious aromatherapy experiences.  Their Balance Shampoo claims to be mild, gentle and suitable for all hair types.  It’s enriched with pure essential oils to maintain optimal hair and scalp health.  :)

I received this shampoo in a small, squeezable tube, which is lavender in colour and has a clear plastic flip-top lid.  The generous size makes it ideal for travelling and reminds me of the amenities that are usually supplied for guests to use when staying at certain motel/hotel chains.  ;)

The clear, gel-like shampoo has a thick consistency and a very prominent herbal scented aroma,   @};-  due to rosemary and ylang ylang being the two key ingredients.  I’m not sure if it’s the sort of smell that appeals to everyone, however I found it quite soothing and relaxing, yet considering it was quite strong initially, the scent eventually faded.  I needed to dispense about a 20c coin worth of product to massage into my scalp and lengths, which developed into a very light, somewhat creamy lather that left my locks feeling squeaky clean and instantly refreshed.  It rinsed completely out of my hair, leaving no oily residue, but I did notice my strands were quite tangled and feeling a little parched.  :-S

I then used the Condtioner in the same range, with the combination resulting in shiny, lustrous tresses that ended up feeling adequately nourished.  I was really disappointed to discover that the second ingredient listed on the back of the shampoo was SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate)   :-O   which I really didn’t expect to find in an aromatherapy range.  I originally assumed the brand supported the use of natural ingredients, considering the company philosophy includes ‘Pure natural and effective’ and especially since it didn’t work into a very foamy lather either.  But after using both the shampoo and conditioner several times, I noticed that my scalp had become irritated and itchy, only since introducing these products.  This triggered me to check the ingredients list and I know based on past experience that the SLES in the shampoo was the most likely culprit to cause the scalp aggravation.  ~X(  What a shame, in my opinion that alone, spoils the whole experience for me and I don’t understand the sense in using nasty ingredients in a product that claims to keep the scalp in good condition?  :-/  It goes to show, if you’re concerned and have sensitive skin then always check the ingredients labels, despite what the product name suggests.  /:)

Travel Size Shampoo
Overall, this shampoo was a let down.  :(  It’s rather costly like a high end salon product and while it promises to deliver healthy, strong tresses and to keep the scalp in good condition, I guess it would be better suited to those without sensitive skin issues.  My hair was soft, smooth and healthy after using the Aromatherapy Associates Balance Shampoo and Condtioner combination, however because I determined that the detergents in the shampoo were upsetting my scalp so much, I had to discontinue use.  Unfortunately, this product was not for me and based on my own personal views, I would only be comfortable suggesting it to people who are keen on the therapeutic benefits of essential oils and don’t mind the distinct fragrance they produce.  :)>-

Rating - 2.5 out of 5 (published for Spoilt. Click here to view) 


Aromatherapy Associates Balance Conditioner 

($28.80 for 300ml - I received the 40ml Travel Size)

Aromatherapy Associates is a UK brand focused on delivering effective and luxurious aromatherapy experiences.  Their Balance Conditioner claims to be enriched with pure essential oils and suitable for all hair types.  It maximises smooth, soft glossy hair.  :D

I received this conditioner in a small, squeezable tube, which is pale grey in colour and has a clear plastic flip-top lid.  The generous size makes it ideal for travelling and reminds me of the amenities that are usually supplied for guests to use when staying at certain motel/hotel chains.  ;;)

The white, creamy conditioner has a smooth, rich consistency and boasts a distinct herbal fragrance,  %%-  based on the key ingredients of ylang ylang, geranium and patchouli.  The smell may not appeal to everyone, but I find the aroma uplifting and it stimulates the senses and leaves me feeling revitalised.  I use a small amount of conditioner, around the size of a 20 cent coin to massage into my scalp and distribute it throughout my lengths.   It washes out with warm water and instantly detangles my long straight locks, which were all tangled after the washing process.  =D>

When dry, my mane is left soft and shiny, with no greasy build-up weighing it down, instead it’s more balanced and effectively nourished.  It works well at taming my frizzy flyaways, resulting in smooth, sleek strands with a more definite shine.  After using the conditioner, in conjunction with the shampoo in the same range, unfortunately my scalp became itchy and irritable as a result of the detergents in the shampoo, so I was unable to continue using the combination to determine if over time the products do in fact improve the strength and condition of my hair.   :|  I’ve been using the conditioner alone as an occasional treatment and I have not experienced any discomfort to my scalp, so I can vouch that it is in fact suitable for those with sensitive skin too.  :-*

Travel Size Conditioner
The conditioner has wonderful detangling and smoothing properties and did moderately care for my overall hair health.  It’s quite expensive, in line with top-shelf, salon brands and based on my personal experience, I highly doubt I would consider spending that much on what I consider to be more of a mediocre product.  The Aromatherapy Associates Balance Conditioner may appeal to anyone who appreciates the therapeutic benefits of essential oils, particularly those who don’t mind the aromatic qualities and can afford the cost.  It’s really a better option for those who wish to team it with the partnering shampoo, otherwise if used on its own; it could make for a nice moisturising treat that delivers soft, sleek, more manageable tresses.  :)

Rating - 3.5 out of 5 (published for SpoiltClick here to view)


Have you heard of this brand or tried it before??   :-?  Have you tried hair care products that you assumed were natural, based on labeling, only to discover they were not quite what you were led to believe?   :-/  Please feel free to comment with your thoughts.



The images in this post are generic.

3 comments:

Would love to hear your two cents worth, both good and bad, but anything out of sorts, offensive or unappropriated will have to be scrapped, sorry, just want to keep things clean ;)