Why a blog?

Somewhere to jot down all things I am passionate about.
My little space to rant, rave and ramble on about this and that.
Most of all, just to share my thoughts with the world!

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer

Howdy yet again folks!  This post is a review of a new primer that Tammerly sent out to me to test drive for her beauty, lifestyle and fashion blog, Spoilt.  The original review can be viewed if you click here, otherwise read on to check out my thoughts.
  
Estée Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer is a multi-purpose, anti-ageing, pre-foundation primer that refines the complexion, minimises the appearance of imperfections and provides targeted oil control to perfectly prepare the skin for makeup application. It is infused with soothing botanicals and vitamins to help calm and protect the skin for a smooth, even, flawless-looking complexion.

The primer comes in a sleek, opalescent, oval-shaped tube that is attractively embossed with a golden Estee Lauder logo and gold chrome lid, which as a whole portrays supremacy and class, ultimately reflective of the prestigious Estee Lauder brand.

This primer is in fact fragrance-free, so it’s less likely to cause irritation, making it safe for those with sensitivity issues.  The white, gel-like cream has a moisturiser consistency and is thick and silky in texture.  The oil-free, antioxidant enriched formula spreads easily, over my skin and dries fast to disguise problem areas and improve the overall appearance of my complexion.  It’s lightweight and non-greasy, instantly concealing pores and minor flaws, whilst plumping fine lines to develop a soft, buffed canvas that works alone or under foundation.  What makes this primer different is it also includes mattifying properties to correct my biggest skin concern; oiliness!  After using this primer, my skin doesn’t become excessively greasy within hours of application; instead it soaks up surplus oil from within, preventing surface residue for the most part, with only moderate maintenance required to keep my makeup looking perfect 

I love the convenience of do-it-all solution products like this multi-tasking primer, but it’s lacking one important benefit I rely on, especially for daytime use, and that is SPF.  Despite not defending against the sun, it’s a handy all-in-one, quick-fix that nourishes and softens my skin, prompts hydration and targets the visible signs of premature ageing.  At the same time, it disguises unsightly imperfections, prevents flaking, creasing, feathering and fading.  Additionally, increasing the longevity of my makeup and essentially providing oil control qualities.  As a product hailing from a luxurious, high-end brand, plus the numerous features, naturally you’d assume it’s not going to come cheap.  Be that as it may, the price tag is surprisingly comparable with other professional primers of similar standard and size, retailing at $48.  Therefore if cost is no obstacle and you’re happy trusting a reputable brand, then it’s worth considering.  This primer indeed refines my complexion and forms a protective base, to ensure my makeup remains beautiful and lasts the distance, yet, because my skin is exceptionally oily, the matte factor doesn’t quite ring true for me.  While the results are initially flawless and the melt-proof ability stops makeup sliding or rubbing off, unfortunately, I’m still dependant on blotting sessions or powder touch-ups to combat any unwanted shine, which develops irregularly.  For that reason, to achieve matte perfection, it’s my opinion the Estée Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer would best suit normal or combination skin types.  It does deliver for us oily-skinned folks, we just need to be diligent in mopping up the surface slick as soon as possible, so our face looks fresh and dewy, with a velvety finish, rather than greasy.

Tip:  A pea-sized amount is generally more than enough to prep my whole face, too much just causes greasiness.


Who’s a bit of an Estee Lauder fan?  Do you often like trying out new EL products, or is it only a ‘once-in-a-while’ splurge brand for you?  Do products that promise a matte finish appeal to you and if so do you ever find that due to your oily skin that even though a product claims to be matte, it’s not always the case when it comes to your complexion??  (It’s a bit of a bummer isn’t it!!!)  On the bright side, this might be perfect for you lucky normal skinned beauties, what do you think??




The image in this post is generic.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this product. I always had my eye on this product. What primer do you recommend for oily skin? Do any work? I've tried a few and they haven't worked eg. Paula's choice shine stopper did nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi girlfriend, sorry I've been MIA from here for a while, just trying to play catch up now. For primers so far I love the new Dermalogica Primer to bits, love the silky smooth tinted primers best, just as long as they don't make me more oily, lol. I've found the Derm one fab, but I am also impressed with the Supernatural Poreless Flawless SPF 15 by Philosophy, which is oil-free and tinted and I'm currently using the the POREfessional by Benefit, which is working OK so far and is definitely not causing any excess oil ;-) Hope this helps xxx

      Delete
  2. Great review. I love Estee Lauder products, and this sounds lovely. But I know what you mean with products not always living up to claims due to my combination skin, especially during summer when my skin gets a little greasier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darl, I know right, summer is the pits for those of us beauties who have to deal with an onslaught of excess oil, it definitely makes choosing suitable skin care and makeup products a tast :-O

      Delete
  3. Confirm Your Free Video Now: How To Get 1.25k, 3.3k, and 5.5k
    Commissions...


    Free Video! 21 Step Program Shows How
    To Get $1,250, $3,300 and $5,500 Commissions
    Deposited Into Your Bank Account...

    Without Ever Having to Pick Up The Phone!

    http://clickmeterlink.com/ltmttb1so99optin

    Get instant access to the video now,
    for no cost:


    To the top,

    Al and Lenay Taylor

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your two cents worth, both good and bad, but anything out of sorts, offensive or unappropriated will have to be scrapped, sorry, just want to keep things clean ;)